Monday, February 9, 2009

Silly Sentiments


The silliest things can make me cry sometimes.  Yesterday, it was a rubik's cube.  About a year ago, Chris decided that he needed to master the Rubik's Cube.  I think it was simply because he was bored at my parents' house, but pretty soon he always had it in is hands.  He got to the point where he could solve it in less than a minute and had moved on to the 4 x 4 Rubik's.  I think it was somewhat soothing for him, akin to knitting for me.  

Since the stroke, the rubik's cubes in our house have become a toy.  They are played with by the kids and can be found throughout the house.  I asked Chris if he thought he could solve it now and he just laughed.  It just takes too much fine motor skills for him and because of this, they stay unsolved.  I know it is a silly thing.  Not life or death.  Chris can have a fulfilling life without the rubik's cube.  Yet I still found myself fighting back tears while holding this game, thinking of what used to be and what is.  Not what will be because I am sure he will "Rubiks" once again. (Is that a verb?)   I am sure it won't be long before I am begging him to put the Rubik's cube down again.  Ah, the little things.  I guess it is pretty nice that all I have to cry about right now is a silly Rubik's cube.  We are blessed.    

1 comment:

Annalia said...

ok. I cried just reading it...of course, as you've pointed out before, I am pregnant.