Wednesday, August 29, 2018

what to do?

August 29, 2018
(Halmoni took me out for oxtail soup, which is at the top of Chris' very short "least favorite Korean food" list.  I loved it!)
Today was day 2 of the girls school and I decided something.  I have got to figure out something to do during the day.  Homeschooling my girls for the past The girls are gone from 9-3:30 and I am not used to having this much time on my hands.  The apartment is small so it was clean super fast.  I hung out with Halmoni and her social worker helper friend, Mrs. Hwang, for 2 hours.  We spoke Korean the whole time so I am thinking that counted as some serious study time. (by the way, Mrs. Hwang said my Korean is much better than last trip.  I was starting to doubt if there had been any improvement over the last couple of years so I am celebrating this!)  I had to explain to her Chloe’s dual enrollment program, which I possibly shouldn’t have even tried.  I am not sure if she understood in the end.  Beyond that, I studied. All day long.  It was a very long day and I need to find more things to fill it.  

I would like to start interviewing Ha
lmoni so I may start doing that during the day.  Chris and I made a list of questions that we want to record her answering.  After I figure out all of the technology, I think the daytime would be ideal as there won’t be kids bouncing off the wall in the background.  I’ve scanned in all of Halmoni’s pictures, but I would like to record her telling me about each picture.  All attempts to find a place to volunteer have been unsuccessful as of yet.  If I sign up for a language class, they’re all at night.  With the kids gone all day I feel like it would be pretty jerky of me to run away two nights a week.  I’m going to keep looking for a daytime language class.  Oooh.  Mrs. Hwang IS trying to find someone to teach me how to make a hanbok (a traditional Korean costume), so that could keep me busy for a while.  I would love to learn the technique behind making these beautiful costumes and get my hands on a pattern.  But until I find something useful to do with my time, I am going to be forced into some lovely relaxation time at the jjimjilbang tomorrow.  Every time I have gone so far, I have been on a time crunch and only spent 1-2 hours there, which is down right criminal.  Tomorrow, I plan on spending as much time as I can stand there.  Halmoni is gone all day tomorrow, the kids are gone all day tomorrow and the jjimjilbang is calling. 


Hannah and I are heading over to check out a b-boying class tonight to see if she has the guts to join it.  I emailed them today to confirm that girls are actually allowed in a b-BOYing class and they are.  The next question is “Are there girls in the class?”.  We shall see.  Either way, it will be fun just to see the class in action.  


No comments: