Tuesday, January 15, 2013

I'm back. (for now)


Thanks to a little talkin' to from my dear father, I am blogging.  I have to confess though that I am purely driven by guilt at this point.  In my defense, I have been journaling (for a whole week now!) using the lovely reminders at Ohlife.  To this, my dad responded "Can your family read that?" Well, no...but when I'm dead and have finished my lovely Project Life album for this year, they can.   Ok, so I got his point and decided to give this blogging thing a try. Again. :)

What is filling up our lives at the Kang house these days?  The same stuff that was a year ago.  Church, school and piano.  A few changes?  We have an adopted daughter of sorts this year. (A fabulously sweet exchange student from South Korea)  This results in kimchi always being in our fridge (good think I like it now!) and us having Korean food at least once a week on her dinner night.  It is pretty dang delicious.  Rachel is attending seminary, which means I am getting up much earlier for 5 out of 7 days.  Rachel is lovely type a sort of gal that pulls my blankets off of me (and nags me like a parent until I finally wake up!) each morning so I can get her to seminary 15 minutes early.  I am driving kids around much more than I am used to and, quite frankly, much more than I would like to be. With that being said, I much rather be driving them around than having someone else do the driving.  I firmly believe in being at the crossroads with our kids, especially as they become teenagers.  If this means setting aside nights to drive to church dances, getting up at insane hours in the morning or filling up the gas tank a few extra times, it is 100% worth it.  The conversations that are had, the tidbits of info that are given and (best of all) being there when they are most excited about where they just went or are about to go.  If you hear about a dance the morning after, you hear much less than if you get details right afterwards.


One of my biggest time fillers (it is a joyful time filler, just like the others!) is my calling in Young Womens.  I have to say that it is my favorite calling of all time.  It keeps me from spontaneous trips more than I would prefer, but I *love* our youth.  The young women are just downright incredible and they are so much fun to work with.  To make it even better, our church has an amazingly inspired program to help the young women grow closer to their Heavenly Father.  It is pure joy getting to help implement inspiration AND getting to watch its results.  

 Ok, its been fun.  Now I'm off to do school with the kiddoes.  :)

3 comments:

Annalia said...

Do you guys dress up every week? ...cause that would be awesome! We need to think of an occasion to wear something cool to dinner...but really they're lucky to be getting dinner at all. (Last night I had it ready by 8:45.)

Beth Tunnell said...

oh life looks wonderful! You always find the best ideas! Blogging is a little bit more involved, but it is fun to see what's going on. Thanks :)

Jim said...

Thank you. Its good to see you "back in the saddle".