Sunday, August 30, 2009

back to school: homeschool style

Normally, August is spent with at least some sort of homeschool preparation going on. This August? You guessed it. None. So this week the three oldest are off to Grandma and Grandpa's while the three youngest and I get ready for school to start. It should be interesting, but that is the way we like it. Right? A trip to Exodus Provisions for a few new books, trying to figure out some new techniques for a certain daughter that gets off task a bit, working out a schedule of sorts, getting all of the school supplies in order....and I am sure this list will grow as the week progresses. It is definitely time, though, as the girls have been asking when we can start "doing school" again.

I am just glad that I am not sinking a ton of dough into new school clothes, a list of required school supplies (some brand specific) and that I get to make decisions along the lines of "I think we should do geography this year." or "I think Rachel is ready for ________" Ah, the flexibility. I love homeschooling!

2 comments:

Annalia said...

Me too! ...the loving homeschooling part.

...and the needing to do some serious shopping part.

Rima Family said...

I think homeschooling is awesome too! I don't currently homeschool, but did get my degree in education and definitely still do lots of teaching at home. Did you begin homeschooling your children right from the start? Or did you make the transition from public or private school to homeschooling? I'd love to hear more about your homeschooling program sometime. Sounds so fun!