Thursday, January 15, 2009

All the yumminess of a smoothie with all of the goodness of a salad


A few weeks ago, I ran across this smoothie (if you can call it that) idea on Paige's blog.  Imagine a salad, in a blender....but good.  

The first time I tried it out, Chris had asked what was for lunch.  I happily pulled out the blender and I am sure he was thinking of one of my famous smoothies.  Then I skipped over to the fridge and pulled out the spinach.   I think the rest was a blur to him because he was a little concerned at idea of spinach in a blender.  When I brought him my new concoction, he simply replied "Fine.  I won't ask for food anymore."  All of the kids tried it and everyone yucked to no end. (except Elise, who quickly returned for 2nds) 

Fast forward to the next day.  I made the green goddess again, but only enough for me, of course.  Why would I make it for kids who hated it?  One by one, each girly came in asking for some, to which I replied, "I didn't make any for you because you thought it was gross!"  Each girly replied with what I had secretly suspected. "It wasn't that bad, I guess."  

Now they are all open about their green smoothie loving and we make it just about every day.  We are going through the costco bag of spinach in no time and I figure we are definitely getting our greens in for the day.  We added blueberries for the first time yesterday, but it turned it from green goddess to mud.  Good mud, but still mud in color.  This is definitely a recipe for those who don't judge a book by its cover, eh?

Green Goddess

1 ladle full of unsweetened pineapple/pineapple juice
1 yogurt container (I like vanilla or any berry)
1 banana
2 very full handfuls of spinach, if not more

Blend away and slurp it up for an easy way to get all of those servings of veggies in.

4 comments:

Islandalli said...

Yummy. I have a kale smoothie recipe that I love. Meg loves it too.

Kristen's Raw said...

I love blended salads and green smoothies. Yum!!!!!

Cheers,
Kristen

Annalia said...

this recipe is so much funnier when you include the picture... even though it makes it seem less like a fabricated joke you're trying to play on your faithful readers.
I love Chris' response!

Rachie J said...

I'm drinking the green goddess right now! I really like it! I love fruit but I'm not so hip on the veggies. This is the perfect solution to my veggie deficiency!